Do you have clothes that smell like mold? Do you know how to get mold out of clothes without using harsh chemicals? If you’ve found mold on your clothes, don’t panic! Getting rid of mold is actually pretty easy. Just follow some simple steps and your clothes will be mold-free in no time.
What is Mold.
Mold is a type of fungus that can grow on clothing that tends to be natural fibers, like cotton and wool. Mold thrives in warm, humid environments, and can cause allergic reactions in some people.
When mold grows on clothing, it can be difficult to remove without damaging the fabric.
That’s why it’s important to take measures to prevent mold growth in your home, like using a dehumidifier or keeping your closet well-ventilated. I
How to Spot Mold on Clothes
If you think your clothes might have mold on them, there are a few things you can look for. Sometimes mold can be easy to spot, especially if it’s on a light-colored fabric. You might see green or black spots, or fuzzy growths.
If you’re not sure if what you’re seeing is mold, hold the garment up to your nose and take a sniff. If it smells musty or damp, it’s probably mold.
Mold can be more difficult to spot on dark clothing. If you suspect that your clothes might have mold but you don’t see any growths, try holding them up to the light. This can help you spot small patches of mold that you might have missed otherwise. .
How to Get Mold Out of Clothes
Why Is Vinegar Good at Treating Mold on Clothing
Mold and mildew can cause serious damage to your clothing if not treated properly. Vinegar is a natural, effective way to kill mold and mildew without harsh chemicals.
Vinegar is a natural acid that can kill mold and mildew quickly. Just mix one part vinegar with three parts water in a spray bottle and mist the affected area. Let it sit for a few minutes, then wipe it away with a clean cloth. You can also soak heavily stained items in a vinegar and water solution overnight before washing them.
Vinegar is not only effective at killing mold and mildew, but it’s also gentle on fabric. That makes it a great choice for delicate clothing items that can’t be washed in hot water or put in the dryer.
How to Get a Mold Smell Out of Clothes
Assuming you’re looking to remove the mold smell from clothing that’s already been worn, and not prevent mold growth on clothing:
- Start by washing the item of clothing in hot water with a regular laundry detergent. If the mold smell persists, don’t dry the item of clothing; instead, proceed to the next step.
- Create a mixture of 1 cup vinegar and 1 cup water. Add this mixture to your washing machine, along with the smelly piece of clothing. Wash on the longest cycle available.
- Hang the item of clothing outside to dry in direct sunlight; this will help kill any lingering mold spores. If you can’t hang the item of clothing outside, place it in front of a fan or air conditioner unit inside your home until it’s completely dry.
How to Get Mold Stains Out of Colored Clothes
If you have a mold stain on a colored piece of clothing, don’t despair! With a little bit of work, you should be able to get the stain out. Here are a few tips on how to do it:
- First, try using a vinegar solution. Mix equal parts vinegar and water, and apply it to the stain with a cloth. Let it sit for about 15 minutes, then rinse with cold water.
- If vinegar doesn’t work, you can try using bleach. Be careful not to use too much, or it could damage the fabric. Apply the bleach to the stain with a cloth, then rinse with cold water.
- If all else fails, you can try taking the item of clothing to a dry cleaner. They should be able to get the stain out for you.